OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

General

House Fire Southview Loop

On Thursday, February 9, 2017 at 12:59 p.m. Jefferson Fire District was dispatched to a structure fire at 10773 Southview Lp SE, Jefferson, Oregon.  Upon arrival Incident Commander, Justin Guinan, stated that there was smoke showing from under the eves of a manufactured home. 

Renters, Mitchell and Danica Garcia, were home at the time the fire started.  They have 3 children; Dillan age 16, Mitchell age 15, and Rubee age 7 who were at school at the time the fire started.   There are two family dogs, Abby and Cosmo that made it out of the house. 

Mitchell had just cracked open the door to the wood stove and went to the other side of the house where his wife Danica was.  Shortly after, they heard the smoke alarm.  Mitchell walked back towards the living room when he felt a blast of warm air.  He reached up and felt the ceiling which was hot.  He went over and closed the door to the wood stove and then notice a red glowing ring around the pipe to the ceiling.  Danica called 911 and they both exited the home.  The home is owned by Randy Julian from Portland, who has been notified.   He does have homeowner’s insurance, however the Garcias do not have renter’s insurance.             

The fire was deemed under control at 1:48 p.m.  The cause of the fire appears to have started in the pipe of the woodstove.  There is moderate structure damage and extensive smoke damage to the house.  There were no injuries.  Marion, Salem, Stayton, and Turner also assisted on the call.

Comments are closed.